Monday, January 16, 2012

Beginning my second year

School ended in late October and began again last week. I've decided to teach the same grades as I taught last year so that I'll be teaching at a level I've had experience with. So far, the new students are promising and seem to be comprehending better than last years' students. Maybe they aren't as intimidated since they've known about the American teacher for a year or maybe my instructions are clearer. Either way, I think this will be a good school year.



I'm currently working on three secondary projects. I'm collaborating with other Peace Corps volunteers to create a teaching resource-- a streamlined curriculum plan complete with lessons-- which will free up a lot of time for education volunteers and hopefully exemplify new teaching methodologies that our schools can benefit from. Next weekend I'll be training to teach English to judges and courtroom staff. Once I receive my schedule for this program, I'll be looking into my third secondary project-- introducing a more economical cooking fuel as an alternative to charcoal. This requires a small investment on the part of the community and the construction of a pressing machine, but I think my village can do it.

During the long vacation, I had a chance to visit the USA for the holidays. I'd like to write more about this later, when I get my head wrapped around it. The differences between the US and Rwanda are so incredible. For now I'll say that, returning to the US after a year's absence, the change that most jumps out is the ubiquity of smart devices. I'd also like to thank everyone that's been reading my blog for the past year. I got to see some of you while I was home and I didn't know you were so many.

4 comments:

  1. Ian!!!! (it's Allen Waliczek)
    I'm lovin ur house on google earth you're video should be on MTV Cribs ;) cuz it's straight pimpin(except the toilet, i dunno how i feel about that).. and youve been to Zanzibar! what in the hell? that's so awesome. i haven't read all of your blogs.. maybe like 10 entries or something, but ill read em all eventually. when you make videos you should say stuff, make jokes :D you were always hilarious when we hung out and now youre in the middle of nowhere where the jokes are probably hilarious, unless ur not allowed then jus make em politically correct :) glad to see you're life is an adventure and you're making a difference, unlike me, life here isn't so cool, it's gotten to the point where sugar is as toxic as alcohol and tobacco that's like yesterdays or 2 days ago news.. right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thing i eat like none of that, since i diet and workout still. plus i dont have enough money to make a difference and even if i did the government and laws are too controlling to get anything productive done. I liked your picture of the classroom where youre up front, it's boss! you were always so good at english now ur a pro at teaching it i'm sure. i'm back in e-wood learning as much as i can from my dad and his business cuz i guess it pays more and allows for more freedom than any kind of medical career, plus it allows me to be able to build, create, and fix everything myself instead of getting ripped off by professionals. so im takin a break from school and doing that. not entirely sure i wanna apply to medical school and slave my life away in the hospital hahaha id rather start a business or something so im soul searching this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -you have a garden that's amazing, i jus started trying to raise a blackberry plant, seein if i can get it mature enough to harvest in Florida
    - i dunno what kind of access to spices you have but here's a recipe for Tzatziki i jus started makin this stuff, it's my new ketchup, i swear it's addictive, goes on everything..

    1 cup grated seeded peeled cucumber
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
    2 teaspoons chopped dill
    1/4 teaspoon salt

    Preparation-----
    Place cucumber on several layers of paper towels(or some kind of liquid soaker-upper haha.. cuz you want the liquid to get out of it); sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt.
    Let stand 30 minutes.
    Combine cucumber, yogurt, and remaining ingredients, stirring until well blended. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
    --hope you can find the ingredients or grow them urself---

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps "what's your favorite dish?... i'm not gunna cook it, but i'll order it from Zanzibar!..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvdYly4A5W0
    ;) that song is back from when we went to high school together hahahaha

    miss you!
    Allen W.

    pps had to split up the message cuz ur blog doesnt allow such a big comment hahaha

    ReplyDelete