Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mary Queen School Complex

My school is a public day school that offers nine years of basic education. Education begins in Primary School, which has six years and is loosely equivalent to elementary school. I teach in lower secondary school, which has three years and is loosely equivalent to Middle School. I teach English in three classes, totaling 15 hours per week.



Rwandan schools typically impose a school fee to supplement the meager teachers' salary. Because of this, students' education can be delayed due to a lack of money. My students, in the second year of secondary school, are anywhere from fourteen to twenty years old. 

These are the three classrooms I teach in. The students remain
in the same room while teachers move from room to room.
View from the back of a classroom. I try to write in big letters.

My classes are about 57 students each.
Our school cantine. Our students have a short mid-day
break to buy snacks, sweets, and porridge here.

School soccer and volleyball grounds with
primary school classrooms in the background.
The new teachers' lounge. It's a big improvement
over the last one because of the huge windows.
The old teachers' lounge and one classroom were knocked down  and will be rebuilt.
New classrooms being built. The school is always expanding.


4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that the classes you teach are so large! BTW Did your number change? miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, you are doing an amazing job in Rwanda! Hopefully, that will be me next year...teaching I mean. I miss you heaps! Hope to hear from you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow it's getting bigger than my school. When will I see a new post? Nho anh nhieu :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like your pictures, you look so serious in front of the blackboard! :) take care ian!

    ReplyDelete